Overhead Crane Safety Training
The Overhead Crane safety course from MidSouthWest is an OHSA based program that teaches about the various types of overhead cranes (bridge, gantry, jib, monorail, etc.) pre-operation inspection, overall equipment features, safe operation procedures and hazard avoidance.
The course will detail proper hazard and controls including hand signals, spotters and rigging techniques. Our Overhead Crane training course is designed using parameters set out by CSA Standard B167-08 for Overhead Cranes and O Reg 851 sections 45-51 as it pertains to Material Handling. The practical evaluation of the overhead crane operator training course requires operators to demonstrate a competency skill level equal or greater to the industry accepted measurements.
This program is suitable for new and existing operators. Participants with little or no practical operating experience will require practical operator training prior to practical testing. We also offer Train the Trainer courses for Overhead Crane Operator Certification
- On-site training at your location – Contact MidSouthWest Training and Consulting to request a quote.
- Open classroom training – Held at locations throughout southwest Ontario, including Burlington, Oakville, Mississauga, Hamilton, St. Catharines, Kitchener, and London. Find a training class location near you.
- Train the Trainer – Have your trainer trained by the best by having MidSouthWest Training and Consulting train them.
- Online learning – Online courses can be purchased indvidually or as part of our learning management system.
- Course Introduction
- Current Related Government legislation
- Responsibilities of the workers, supervisors and employers
- Training Presentation
- Inspection, maintenance and records
- Safe Crane Use
- Hoisting and rigging principles
- Capacity and load weight
Practical operator testing is held on-site at your facility and is scheduled following the in-class segment. The instructor will work with 1 operator at a time for approximately 30 minutes per crane type.
Practical Training for New Operators
Participants with little or no practical operating experience will require practical operator training prior to practical testing. The duration of practical training varies based on equipment application(s) and aptitude of the participant.
- 6.5 hour program held on-site at your location or at one of our course locations open to the public
- The duration of practical training varies based on equipment application(s) and aptitude of the participant
- In-class training
- Practical operator testing
- Record of training report
- Written examinations
- Individual wallet certificates (for participants with 80% passing score on both written and practical tests)